We will be at the Ashford Business Association‘s Home Show and Business Expo tomorrow (Saturday, March 24) from 10-2:30 at Knowlton Hall, 25 Pompey Hollow Rd, Ashford, CT 06278. We are happy to talk with you about our farm and growing practices, so please come out if you have any questions! Our table will have information about the farm, a free herb potting activity, and a few items for sale: fresh spinach & 6-pack lettuce transplants. Hope to see you there!
We’re going to the 3rd Annual Know Your Farmer Fair tomorrow, but we think it should be a “Know Your Tractor” fair. Some of ours have some pretty interesting stories. Our tractor Bruce, for instance, has a song written about him! We purchased Bruce the Deutz from Simple Gifts Farm in 2014, and apparently one of their crew members wrote the song below. Although he still needs some work, we have been using Bruce to work on our fields in Ashford where we grow rye straw.
Every year, we try to make some improvements to our CSA. One of the ways we determine what changes to make is by using our end of season surveys. To our relief, we’ve received almost all good feedback, but there are some things that can be improved. Here is what’s in store for 2018:
- Two new scales for our farm stand – Throughout the 2017 season we noticed, and received feedback about, the fact that it was difficult to measure out share amounts with multiple members at the farm stand. This year we will have 2 scales set up, and we’re hoping they’ll even be a little easier to load up and read.
- More Pick-Your-Own herbs – We started doing some PYO herbs last year in the garden by our farm stand. We received great feedback about this and plan to expand for 2018. In addition to the herbs planted at the farm stand, we will be building movable planters that we can set up at both the on-farm and remote pick-up sites.
- Alternate pick-up options for members who will be away – This has been on our minds for a while – how to manage alternate pick-up times. For 2018, we will be offering farmers’ market credit for up to 2 weeks of produce per member, if we are notified 2 days prior to the “missed pick-up”. See our 2018 CSA Member Agreement for more information.
Let us know if you have any other feedback, and we will do our best to accommodate!
Spencer, Jackie, & Julia
Hi folks! It’s that time of year again, and we’re busy planning for next season. Some of the projects we’re working on are:
- A new deer fence for our field across the street (where we will plant our 2018 sweet corn!)
- Some new mini greenhouses, which will help us have more variety earlier and later in the season
- A bed flamer, used to kill weeds before planting, with minimal soil disturbance
- Ordering seeds
- Tractor and truck maintainence
- Preparing our main greenhouse for early spring peas and carrots
- Expanding our irrigation system
- And the list goes on…
You can find our 2018 application in the top right corner of this page. Please read carefully, as we have made a few changes to our CSA member agreement from last year.
Best wishes and Happy Holidays!
-Spencer, Jackie, & Julia